Professor at the Free University of Berlin, Near East Institute of Archaeology
Glyptic, historical geography, evolution of the occupations and environments,
Archaeology Institute, leads the following projects: Tell
Schech Hamad excavations (Syria); pluridisciplinary projects:
Habur Archaeological Project (Syria).
• 1964 : Ilica excavations (Turquy) led by Winfried Orthmann.
• 1968-1969 : Bogazköy excavations
(Turquy) led by Kurt Bittel & Peter Neve.
• 1972-1975 : Tell Kamid el-Loz excavations (Liban) led by
• 1973-1974 : Tell Mumbaqa excavations
(Syria) led by Winfried Orthmann
• 1982-1990 : Tell Ajaja excavations led by Asaad
• since 2003 : Archaeological prospections of Civril led by Asref Abay.
Direction of archaeological excavations
• 1975-1977 :
in Lower Khabur
• 1978 : Archaeogical prospections
in Incescu-Tal (Turquy)
• 1988 : Archaeogical prospections
in Tur Abdin (Turquy)
• depuis 1978 : Excavations of Tell Schlech Hamad (Syria)
• 1983-1993 : Interdisciplinary research project :
« Reconstruction of environnement in the Lower Khabur area (Syria) during the Holocene »
• 1985-1992 : Excavations of Tell Bderi (Syria)
• 1992-1996 : Syria-Germany cooperation project,
valorization of the Museum of Deir az-Zor exposition (Syria)
• Since 2000 with the German Institute,
emergency excavations on the late byzantine site of Tell
Dgherat (barrage on the Khabur, Syria)
codirected by Andreas Oettel